Sunday, October 20, 2013

We survived...

So, my husband and I are currently taking our GPS classes to become foster parents. They warned us about how much paperwork was involved, but we had no idea. I've written more in the past five weeks than I have in my entire high school and college career combined. I am one of those weird teacher-kids who love to fill out paperwork, but foster parent paperwork is too much for me. It's repetitive and I also feel like I am getting negatively judged if I answer a question with one word. I get overly excited when the questions ask about previous marriages or our own children- FYI we have neither. 

The "scary DHR lady" who ironically is extremely sweet came to visit us for our first in home visit this past Thursday. We had every light socket switch covered and every sharp, pointy, somewhat hazardous thing stored away. Dustin slaved away at installing cabinet door locks, just to find out we have to have legit lock and key locks for our cabinets with cleaner. Nothing screams- welcome to our home- like a big, bulky padlock hanging off the cabinets. Oh, well. One of the other things on our list to baby proof our apartment was having to take down Dustin's Walking Dead posters. You know the zombie eating show on AMC? Dustin loves it, and I don't blame him. I enjoy them too. However, the huge movie poster above the television of a zombie eating the flesh off a human is a little much. It freaks me out. I can't imagine what it would do to a three year old. I scaled the living room wall when Dustin was in the bathroom and managed to weasel off both of the posters without him knowing. It took him -2 seconds to realize they had been taken down. They left a pretty big, empty spot. I will have to find some awesome quote about family and love and gardens to fill it up. The scary DHR lady will love that. 

The initial visit was three hours long. She asked us a billion questions. Our age reflects our answers. Lol. She ask if we are happy with where we are in life. Being that I've only been a legal adult for four years and I am not in jail nor addicted to crack, yeah I am pretty happy with my life. No, seriously. I am very blessed. 

Halfway through the session she told us she had to opt-out some of the other coupls taking the class. Whew. I am glad we made the first cut. 

It's 10:56 and I just got out of the shower and am cuddled up to my husband in the bed. Our dogs are asleep at the foot of the bed. Dustin is watching Sunday night football and I am blogging away. The house is clean and laundry is washed. I made a delicious BBQ beef casserole with homemade garlic bread and freshly baked snicker doodle cookies. There is a mountain of dishes in the sink, but Dustin says he will handle those tomorrow AKA I will do the dishes tomorrow. My lesson plan is done and my outfit is laid out for tomorrow. My lunch is packed and I am ready to take on another week of crazy hectic work. 

I just wished a child was somewhere in the mix. Man, we are ready to foster. Come on, licensing.  

No comments:

Post a Comment