Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Overcoming the fear of Big Foot

It's New Year's Eve, folks. My Facebook is lit up with promises to loose weight, find a man, get closer to Jesus, pay off debt, etc. I've got friends hanging onto the slightest chance that 2014 will bring them a fresh start, a new "me". The truth is, I love my friends, just the way they are. They might want to lose a few pounds or read visit with Jesus a little more often, and I am all fine and dandy with that. But, what does it mean to be a new "me"? What does that include? Sounds painful. And, super duper hard. I hope my friends are just casually saying this to get by unscathed from the New Years Resolution band wagon. What if all my friends became "new" and I liked the "old" better. Humph. When did New Years become so complicating?

Speaking of complicating, try explaining the concept of New Year's Resolutions to four-year-olds. Seriously, it's hard. First, I made the fine distinction between a resolution VS a tradition. They assumed a New Year's Resolution was a firework, lol. Obviously, they are at the age to put New Years celebration and fireworks together. Yes, we recite the days of the week and months of the year every morning, but they don't understand the concept of a "new year". So, I explained to them a New Years resolutions was kind of like a promise to yourself (or maybe others). You are promising to change something about your self or your lifestyle. Luckily, none of my students are wanting to change their entire selves like some of my adult friends. My four year olds are perfectly comfortable with who they are. We could learn a lesson from them, eh? 

So, we did a craft where I let them decorate a piece of paper and I traced and cut out their hand prints. I took turns writing each child's New Years resolution on their hand prints, and, once they were finished decorating their paper, I glued their hand print promises front and center. Simple. Cute. I love cute, but not near as much as I love simple. Wise words of a teacher.

It's only fair that I dug deep down into my own messy, over-processed head and figured out at least- AT LEAST- two of my own New Years resolutions. Should be easy enough, right?

First and foremost, 2014 is looking to be a busy year for us. We are hoping within the first few months of this new year, we will wrap up our licensing process for fostering, and hopefully be placed with a child. That's a pretty big deal, so, I guess one of my 2014 New Years resolutions is to be a great, encouraging, positive-role-model-ish, fun-craft-making, yummy food creating, tuck into bed giving, memory making mother. You know, I want to be one of those poster moms for parenting except I want to be legit. I want to be that awesome mother making crafts and homemade cookies because, believe it or not, the laundry can wait until later.. 

Secondly, I don't want to become a "new" me. I believe I have a lot of positive traits, but I also know I have some negative ones that need fixing. I want to become absolutely, one hundred percent, comfortable... with being myself. I don't want to change myself. I just want to learn to accept myself, and to love myself for who I am. That way, maybe- just MAYBE- I can stop worrying so much about what people think about me. I let people drive me up the wall with their opinions, their judgments, and their "well, if you asked me..". That is the beauty of this life. I didn't ask you, and I am perfectly capable of living my life the way I chose to, because believe it or not, this is my story, not yours. In order for me to become comfortable with being myself, there is a lot of small changes that I must make. I am not going to list them all, because then I will become rather overwhelmed and then want to crawl into a hole until 2015. 

With that being said, I am extremely excited about this upcoming year. I can't give 2014 all of the glory though. Let me recap a few of the most awesome events in 2013. 

February 11th of 2013- I celebrated my one year anniversary at the child development center I work at. Sounds small, I know, but I am twenty-two years old and this is the longest job I've ever kept. Go me!

February 14th of 2013- My husband actually managed to send me flowers to work ON Valentine's Day. I didn't end up with the ONLY teddy bear left on the shelf with his mangled body and missing eye ball. One up, husband!

March 28th of 2013- I turned the big 22. No big change here other than cashiers at Publix don't have to strain the math in their heads to ensure in fact that I am over twenty one years old and I can certainly purchase they Pink Moscato. 

July of 2013- Dustin and I took our very first vacation together. We went to Atlanta and had a blast. Five days, four nights of pure relaxation as a couple. I hadn't left the state of Alabama since I was eight years old. That vacation was well overdo. I also sold my 2 door Saturn and bought a 4 door PT Cruiser all in one weekend. 

August 2013- I got a new batch of students at school. Last year I had all boys and three girls, this year I started with all girls and one boy. Super hero talk suddenly changes to Princess talk. I think I did well with the switch;)

September 2013- Dustin and I started the journey of foster care. We went in to orientation questioning the program and came out completely convinced this was our calling.

All in all, 2013 had it's up and it's downs, but I can honestly say my marriage has grown ten times stronger this year. Dustin and I have come such a long way. We were married at such a young age, and we had so many people doubt us, but we are going strong and I love him more each and every day.

So, bring it on 2014. I am ready for the ups and the downs, the curve balls and the delights! I am ready for whatever you had in store for me, because in the end I know God has a plan and I am living out His plan for me. But, for the first time in twenty-one years, I can honestly say I am headed in the right direction!

Speaking of New Years resolutions, my kiddos did pretty well with grasping the concept. I got a lot of "I will eat all of my vegetables" and "I will be nicer to my brother". The best one of all time is the one below... This kid has grabbed life by the horns. She is facing her fears, and isn't letting anyone stand in her way. Watch out Big Foot! 2014 is OUR year! 





No comments:

Post a Comment