Saturday, November 2, 2013

2 Empty Bedrooms

I browsed the Kindle book store last night looking for books on fostering. I was kind of looking for instruction manuals, but I ended up finding some books of real life stories. My number one Kindle reading rule is- If it's more than $4.99 for the download, I don't buy it. I'd much rather pay $5.00 and up for a hard back book that I can actually hold. Otherwise, I pretty much stick to ninety-nine cent books. I found a book called- Two Empty Bedrooms. It was in my price range, so I grabbed it and dived right in.

Three pages down and I was already crying.

The author, Michelle, talks about her first foster care placement and the ups and downs of experiencing motherhood for the first time. I was impressed and moved by her dedication and willingness to have a strong relationship with the foster mom. She went above and beyond to make a scrapbook (also known as lifebooks in foster care lingo) for the foster mom to have only to be rejected when the foster mother didn't show for her first visit. The foster child, only two years old, didn't fully understand what was going on so he wasn't hurt by this no-show visit, but Michelle was hurt, not only for herself, but was hurt for him. I won't give away any of the other details, let's just say it's worth the $2.99. My only complaint is, it's only 56 pages long. I read it in under 25 minutes and it left me wanting more- not just more reading materials but it left me wanting my first placement! Come on, come on, come on! 

I'd love to know of any other reading material out there that shows an inside scoop of the heartbreak and happiness of foster care. I read tidbits of the story to my husband whom I think was more interested in the football game on television. He is a great guy, but he is ALL guy. Football triumphs reading any day. 


No comments:

Post a Comment