Sunday, November 24, 2013

Catching Up (Part Two)

Procrastination sucks. It's got to be one of my worst traits. In high school and later on in college I wouldn't necessarily procrastinate when a paper was due but I couldn't work on a paper over a week's period. I couldn't research a paper on Saturday, write my thesis statement on Sunday, write a rough draft on Monday, revise on Tuesday... I think you get the point. I had to do all of it on one day- in one sitting- on one computer. I never failed an essay, though one professor at UM liked to decorate my paper with red marks until she had rewrote my entire essay... But, regardless, I am sure that is some type of procrastination. I've also procrastinated about washing the dishes in the sink this morning AND about going "lock" shopping. We have to lock all of the chemicals and medicine up in a cabinet with a lock and key. It doesn't sound that painful, but we are renters and I don't think our landlord would appreciate it if we left his cabinets with two giant gaping holes from our key locking entry. I've considered getting the locks with the padlock, but our cabinet doors are spaced almost an inch and a half apart. I don't know if I'd work. Regardless, we are suppose to go lock shopping today. As for the dishes, Dustin can do those later..

Let's get caught up. Better late than never right..

Day 13: I am thankful for The Hayes' household! I met the Hayes' one day at the preschool I work at. They were foster parents, and had triplets in our pre-kindergarten program. I didn't know much about foster parenting at the time, and, honestly, had no idea there was such a demand for foster parents in Shelby County. I was (and still am) naive when it comes to first world problems. If I don't literally see it everyday with my own two eyes, then it escapes me and I guess I chose to act like the problem doesn't exist. For example, Obamacare. I still don't understand everything about Obamacare, but, while everyone else was complaining about it I chose to act like it didn't effect me therefore I was oblivious to the fact that our own family plan jumped fifty dollars in price- A WEEK. That's another rant for another day. Anyhow, I met the Hayes' and was interested in what they were doing. I love children- always have. I am a preschool teacher to a classroom slap full of three year olds. I am pretty sure loving children is mandatory in order for me to keep my sanity. What I loved most about the Hayes' is that the foster children they always had loved them dearly. The Hayes' didn't just give them everything they wanted- food, toys, etc. they gave them hope, discipline, guidance, Faith in the Lord, and a true understanding of the word "family". Mrs. Hayes talked to me about foster care and tried to get me to come to the first foster care meeting at her church. I didn't go. I wasn't one hundred percent sure, and Dustin thought the idea was crazy. A year passed, the triplets headed off to kindergarten and I never saw them again- until- that following summer they came back to the preschool for after school care. Hallelujah! The Hayes' were back in my life! I spent all summer with the triplets +1 and I knew for sure I wanted to foster. Towards the end of the summer, the triplets had their birthday party and I drug Dustin along with me. Dustin played with them like they were his niece and nephews! I was blown away by how easily he was able to accept them and play with them even though he is one of the shiest people I know. We finally made the decision together that we would consider fostering, and believe it or not, the classes started in less than two weeks. Funny how God works. We are at the beginning of our fostering journey, but Dustin and I have already grown to be so close to one another through the ten week class. We've discussed things we've never talked about before, we've accomplished things as a couple, and we've grown closer to God. We've had so many blessings already from this experience and we've barely even got started. This was all possible because God has angels he sends down to this Earth to work, and Mrs. Hayes happens to be one and I happened to be so very lucky to meet her. Oh, and I have to give Mr. Hayes some credit! I was extremely intimidated by him before we took our classes- even though I still am a tad bit. We didn't know this prior to our first class that Mr. Hayes would actually be one of the teachers of our class. They all took turns doing their part each Wednesday night and Dustin and I both agreed that listening to Mr. Hayes was our favorite part. He is one of those teachers that can teach without the book. He doesn't read line  by line, instead he talks from the heart. He shared his feelings, his fears, and his accomplishments with us. What a wonderful group of people living a life for God! 

Day 14: I am thankful for my crazy, hectic, gonna pull my hair out sometimes job. I've been working at NP for almost two years. There are days that I absolutely hate it, but I have more days where I absolutely love it. I love being around the children. I love being able to teach them things that they will use throughout life. I love having Bible study in the morning with them and praying with them (and a little patience and guidance for Ms. Page). I love crafts, though I hate doing the same craft eighteen time with two small hands, but, hey, it's part of the job. I love hearing the kids laugh and sing and just talk to one another. It's a fun job. It's a tough job though, and it takes a special person to be able to do it day by day. Not only do I love what I do and being with the children, but I love the ladies I work with. We have our ups and our downs, and sometimes we all get so ill and bent out of shape and take it out on one another, but we are still friends at the end of the day. I love my director even though sometimes I disagree with the way she handles things. She can be a great friend, a wonderful listener, and an overall great person to cry to. She puts up with a lot, and I am grateful she puts up with us. 

Day 15: I am thankful for running water and electricity. I couldn't imagine living somewhere that running water was a fantasy. We have it so easy compared to our ancestors and other people around the world. I literally just got out of a warm shower, am drinking ice cold water, and have my laundry going. That is A LOT of water I just nonchalantly used in twenty minutes. I am so thankful we have these luxuries. Sometimes I have to remind myself how very blessed I am for the little things in life that I so easily take for granted. 

Day 16: I am thankful for my car. We had so many problems out of it back in August, but with the help from my Dad we were able to get them taken care of. I love my car, and it fits my personality. Not only that, but it gets me from point A to point B and for that I am grateful! 

Day 17: I am thankful for my dogs! I have two beautiful, happy, healthy fur balls that I love with all of my heart! They are great dogs, and I am so glad that they have adapted to apartment living! They are my best friends! I have literally told them every one of my secrets. They have seen me at my worst and at my best, yet they are always wagging their tales at the front door when I come home! (I just realized I wrote a thankful post for my dogs last time! Oh, well! I am double thankful for them!)

Day 18: I am thankful for the Internet. I grew up around computers and mastered a Windows 95 at age four. Internet has and always will be something that fascinates me. Though I was very young, I feel like I watched the "Internet movement" come alive. We went from dial up to high speed to wireless in less than a decade. It blows my mind. I wish with all of my might that my Grandfather and I could have one more day together where I could show him all of the latest advances in technology. My grandfather was a huge part of my life growing up and we shared this love for technology. He taught me things that I still use today! When I was young I would tell him I was terrified of driving. He taught my sister how to drive, and I paid close attention to every lesson he ever gave her, because I knew when it was my turn to learn he wouldn't be around to teach me. I was only nine years old when he passed away, but I remember him telling me when I got older they would make cars that drove themselves- I would just have to tell them where to go. I laugh now because I guess what he was talking about was the early talk of what we now call a GPS. I use to think he was so silly to think that they would make a car that could drive itself, but just recently I've been seeing the commercials for the cars that break themselves and auto-park themselves. Maybe my Grandpa was right, maybe there will be a car that drives itself...

Day 19: I cannot believe it's taken me this long to say this, but I am thankful for my Grandpa! He was (and still is though he is not physically here) a huge part of my life. My Grandpa was a wonderful man, and I cherish every minute I spent with him growing up. I have so many memories of us being together. Just this past week Dustin and I went to my Grandmother's house to get some Christmas decorations to put out in our apartment. I got so many Christmas decorations that reminded me of my Papa. One in particular is a glass, hand painted setting that has movable pieces. As a child, I would rearrange this piece a million times. There was a Mrs. Clause in a rocking chair that was my Grandma and a Santa Clause playing the piano which was my grandfather and two elves that were my sister and me. I now have it set up in my living room, and every time I see it, it reminds me of Christmas with my grandparents. I can honestly say I don't need anything else for Christmas. My grandmother gave me this piece of my childhood that is way better than any gift you can buy on Black Friday. As I type this I feel the presence of my Grandpa in this room, and I know he is always with me. I love him more and more each day, which people would say is crazy since he is no longer with me, but he very much is still with me. When I was little, when I would say my prayers at night, I would always say- God, can you hand over the phone to my Grandpa now? I would not only pray to God every night but I would talk to my Grandpa. I am twenty two years old, and I still ask God to hand the phone over to my Grandpa, and I still believe with all of my heart that he is on the other side listening. 

Day 20: I am thankful for the company of my husband. I know I already said I was thankful for my husband, but I am also thankful for his company. I am so blessed to have someone to wake up to that loves me as much as I love him!

Day 21: I am thankful for Blue Bell ice cream. It is my weakness! 

Day 22: I am thankful for the on-going support Dustin and I have been shown through our fostering preparation. I have been overwhelmed by how many people have donated things to us to help us prepare for a placement! I am so blessed to have such awesome friends and family, and I am also blessed to live in such an awesome community where people will openly help one another even though they don't know each other. We've had complete strangers give us boxes and boxes of clothes! 

Day 23: I am thankful for the police officers, firemen, EMT runners, and all of the men and women that fight for this country. They willing risk their lives each day to keep us safe! I am so blessed God made special people like them to take care of us. I am thankful they have families that are willing to deal with not having Dad home on Thanksgiving or having Mom home at night just so they can protect us. I am so thankful for their sacrifices for us! 


This is a picture of the Christmas decoration that reminds me so much of my childhood and past Christmases with my grandparents. 

No comments:

Post a Comment